Petroleum Iran Oil and Gas

Power sector

Insofar  as  the  Power  sector  is  concerned , consumption  is  set  to  soar . In  order  to  meet  demand , the  country  will  have  to  increase  power  generating  capacity  by  50 %  by  2012 , up  to  30,000  MW  from  the  current  level   of  20,000  MW, with  electricity  consumption  expected  to  increase  at  a  rate  of  6-8 %  annually . This  will  prove  no  easy  feat  given  that  nearly  95%  of  the  Islamic  republic’s  electricity  needs  are  generated  and  transmitted  by  the  state  power  company , Tavanir . Within  the  sector , some  80%  of  the  generation  capacity  belongs  to  the  Ministry  of  Energy  ( Through  Tavanir ) with  the  remaining  20%  in  the  hands  of  industrial  factories , various  state  administrations  and  the  private  sector.